What is Autism Spectrum Disorder?
Autism spectrum disorder (ASD) and autism are both general terms for a group of complex disorders of brain development. These disorders are characterized, in varying degrees, by difficulties in social interaction, verbal and nonverbal communication and repetitive behaviors.
The complex disorders include:
- Autism Disorder Rett Syndrome Childhood Disintegrative Disorder
- Pervasive developmental disorder-not otherwise specified
- Asperger Syndrome
These neurodevelopmental disorders can be characterized by difficulties in:
- Communication skills/social interactions
- Motor skills and coordination
- Cognitive abilities
- Verbal behaviors and other physical health issues